Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 New To Me Movie #1: Rango

êêêê

I have always been a huge fan of Johnny Depp, but when the movie Rango first came out, I wasn't really interested, because it seemed like another generic children's movie. However, my uncle (who is in his late forties) confessed to me that this was his favorite movie of 2011, and saw it three times in the theaters. Keep in mind my cousin (his son) is 22 and did not see it with him. So, I decided to give Rango a chance, because if my uncle would risk looking like a creeper three different times at our small town movie theater, then I could at least try to watch it.

What starts off as a somewhat "Finding Nemo" type of story line, turns in to a play on an old western comedy. The main character, Rango, is a chameleon that is accidently thrown from his owner's car in the middle of the dessert. Upon meeting a very quirky type of lizard named Beans (played by Isla Fisher), Rango is then taken in to her town where he meets some intimidating characters. Trying to mask his fear of these new strangers, Rango puts on a front as an outlaw and through a chain of pure accidents, becomes the towns local sheriff. His first task is finding more water for the town, which is their form of currency, and overthrowing the major and his bandits. Without giving too much away, this movie has a cute and happy ending with a hidden lesson of overcoming self doubt and finding yourself. Pretty heavy stuff for little kids, even if they don't get it. Anyway, Rango was better than expected, but not a movie I would probably watch again. Sorry Uncle Freddie, you're alone on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment