Thursday, January 12, 2012

#10: Under the Tuscan Sun

êêêê

On more than one occasion I have had someone that knows me really well tell me they couldn't believe that I had never seen Under the Tuscan Sun, because they thought I would love it. Finally, I took everyone up on their advice and sat down to watch it. My best friend described it as "the original Eat, Pray, Love" (which I loved). When Tuscany, Italy is the backdrop to a moving and heartfelt film, it has amazing written all over it.

Writer/professor Frances (played by Diane Lane) has recently gone through a very messy and painful divorce, and is faced with the options of wallowing in self loathing or taking a trip to Tuscany courtesy of her best friends, Patti (Sandra Oh) and Grace (Kate Walsh). Patti and Grace are expecting their first child together and did not want to risk Patti flying while in her first trimester. Fed up with hating her current situation, Frances leaves for Tuscany, and once there makes a huge decision to buy an old villa and fix it up. One might call her a little insane, but slowly and surely Frances begins to find herself all over again through the friends around her and all the hard work put in to the house. There are many unforgettable characters in this film, and the lesson in the end is to love yourself before you love someone else. Under the Tuscan Sun is not your typical chick flick because it is so much deeper than that. This movie made me want to move to Italy and lock myself away until my novel is finished. Dare to dream. I recommend this movie to anyone who has ever felt less than worthy or unhappy with the way their life is going. Diane Lane did a wonderful job of bringing a real connection from Frances to the audience, and I absolutely loved her in this film. I would watch Under the Tuscan Sun again any day!

1 comment: