Monday, January 2, 2012

#2: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

êêêê

Guy Ritchie has been one of my favorite directors for a while now. In fact, in my eyes, the only mistake he ever made was marrying Madonna, but that's a whole different blog. I absolutely loved the first Sherlock Holmes film, so when A Game of Shadows came out, I knew I wanted to see it immediately. Of course, I realized that when the movie would be coming out, I would be in a very small town on top of a mountain in North Carolina with my family. The local movie theater has one screen and shows one movie at a time. However, as luck would have it, that one movie was Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and I dragged my family out in 20 degree weather just to see it.

Compared to the first Sherlock Holmes film, A Game of Shadows was much more intense and fast paced. We all knew that no matter what he said, Dr. Watson would return to Holmes' side. So much of this film focuses on their friend/relationship, and how that effects each of their lives. Rachel McAdam's character, Irene Adler, did not have as big of a role as the first one, which makes me think there will definitely be a third movie where she makes a return. Jared Harris, also known as Lane Pryce from Mad Men, plays a genius professor (James Moriarty) who doubles as the evil villain. Moriarty's plans for global rule and extreme wealth, which is always the main priority of evil doers everywhere, are actually very well planned out and intelligent, but evil none the less. It's up to Holmes and Watson to figure out Moriarty's plans and stop them before the world is in real danger. There's also a new female lead character introduced who has become my new idol. Noomi Rapace plays Madam Simza Heron, a gypsy vigilante. Madam Simza joins Watson and Holmes to stop Moriarty and help save her brother who has become entrapped in Moriarty's evil plans, and is quite a badass while doing so. This movie kept me in suspense half the time, and laughing hysterically the other. Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law were magnificent as always, and Jared Harris was the perfect slimy evil genius. The end of the film leaves the viewers in suspense, and it seems to me that there will definitely be a third movie. *Fingers crossed!*


No comments:

Post a Comment