Monday, January 16, 2012

#12: The Tree of Life

êêêê

I'm sure there are many people who will disagree with me when I say that I could not stand The Tree of Life, but I'm sticking by my opinion. I had such high hopes for this film, because the cast and the scenery looked amazing, but when I sat down and actually watched it, it was indeed a struggle. I literally had to force myself to sit through the entire movie, just to make sure I wasn't missing something or having a bad acid trip. When I asked around to see how others felt about The Tree of Life, one of my closest friends told me she thought it was like watching a screensaver for two and a half hours, and she was completely right. Now, while there are plenty of people that will see this film for its "artistic beauty," I am not one of them. Sure, the scenes themselves were gorgeous, but I think everything just got carried away. At one point I was waiting for Morgan Freeman to start narrating, because I quite honestly felt like I was watching an Earth movie.

The Tree of Life is supposed to follow Sean Penn's character through his childhood, where his father (Brad Pitt) plays a controlling tyrant, while his mother (Jessica Chastain) attempts to be the peacekeeper in the family. I wish there would have been more dialogue and maybe more character development, there was probably an hour display of the creation of Earth, and random people walking around a beach at the end. I understand that there is supposed to be some deep symbolism with everything in this movie, but that was not what I wanted or expected from this movie. Overall, I would not recommend The Tree of Life, because it was boring and did not really make a definite point. Obviously people disagree with me, because this movie was just nominated for a few Oscars, including Best Picture. Take it or leave it, but I don't feel enriched at all by Tree of Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment